FACTS ABOUT THE MGA
what you might know, want to know
and ought to know
     
The MGA was a sports car produced by the MG division of the British Motor Corporation from 1955 to 1962.

The MGA replaced the older T series cars and represented a complete styling break from the older vehicles. The car was officially launched at the Frankfurt Motor Show of 1955. It was replaced by the MGB when production ceased in July 1962. Through that time, BMC sold 101,081 units, the vast majority of which were exported with only 5,869 cars sold on the home market, the highest export percentage of any British car. 

The design dates back to 1952 when MG designer Syd Enever created a streamlined body for George Philips' TD Le Mans car. The problem with this car was the high seating position of the driver because of the limitations of using the TD chassis. A new chassis was designed with the side members further apart and the floor attached to the bottom rather than the top of the frame sections. A prototype was built and shown to the BMC chairman Leonard Lord. Lord turned down the idea of producing the new car as he had just signed a deal with Donald Healey to produce Austin-Healey cars. Falling sales of the traditional MG models caused a change of mind and the car, initially to be called the UA-series, was brought back. As it was so different from the older MG models it was called the MGA, the "first of a new line" to quote the contemporary advertising. There was also a new engine available so the car did not have the originally intended XPAG unit but was fitted with the BMC corporate B-Series type allowing a lower bonnet line

It was a body-on-frame design and used the straight-4 "B series" engine from the MG Magnette saloon driving the rear wheels through a 4 speed gearbox. Suspension was independent with coil springs and wishbones at the front and a rigid axle with semi-elliptic springs at the rear. Steering was by rack and pinion and was not power assisted. The car was available with either wire spoked or steel disc road wheels.  
                           History story stolen from Wikipedia 
 MGA 1600
Manufacturer BMC Production 1955-1962
 
Predecessor
- MG TF    Successor - MGB

Body style(s) 2-door roadster  2-door coupé
Wheelbase 7 feet 10 inches (2.388 m)
Length 13 feet 0 inches (3.96 m)
Width 4 feet 9 inches (1.45 m)
Height 4 feet 2 inches (1.27 m)
Curb weight 1988 pounds (902 kg

MGA Facts:

The first MGA rolled off the production line in May 1955
First MGA coupe came in September 1956

The first Twin Cam was produced in April 1958
The last Twin Cam in May 1960

The factory changed to the 1600 in May of 1959
A run of 1600 deluxes started in April of 1960
The Mk II went into production in March of 1961
The last MGA rolled out the door in May of 1962
101,081 MGA's were built in their 7 years

1500-1600 had a diff ratio of 4.3:1  
Mk II final drive was 4.1:1 for a higher cruising speed

The turning circle was 28 feet

All the pushrod motors had 89mm strokes.  Displacement was changed by a bigger bore
Twin cam's front and rear track was slightly wider than stock and the turning radius became 32 feet

NOW THE IMPORTANT PART !! CLICK ON THE LINK TO TAKE A LOOK AT SOME RACING MGA's

 Production Statistics:


 MGA 1500 roadster           52,478
 MGA 1500 coupe                 6,272
 MGA 1600 roadster           28,730
 MGA 1600 coupe                 2,771
 MGA twin cam roadster       1,728
 MGA twin cam coupe              323
 MGA Mark II roadster           8,198
 MGA Mark II coupe                  521

 Mark II deluxe roadster            290  (this hurts)
 Mark II deluxe coupe                  23

 The first MGA motor had only 68bhp
 The 1500 motor was quickly raised to 72 bhp
 The twin cam had 108bhp
 The 1600 80bhp, the 1622 Mk II 93bhp
 The 1622 had a compression ratio of 8.9:1
 The twin cam;s compression ratio was 9.9:1

 Firing order is  1-4-3-2


  SEBRING A'S         #029         IGOR mkII deluxe
 Racing MGA Home     Misc Racing MGA