The Bridge first started on the road in 1949. The new circuit above Sag Harboropened in 1957. A fast and fearsome track it hosted
all the big SCCA and later World Sportscar Championship, USRRC and Can-AmPro races. It's last big event was a
Camel GT race in 1971. The land became super valuable and while holding a few small regionals, the Bridge closed for good in 1998.
It is now a golf course but the Chevron bridge and a part of the course are still there. Bucher won twice in 1960 with the RSK and in the
Lola in '66. Sherm Decker raced USRRC in the Lola and the Cooper. Lots of BARC members raced the bridge;
Oscar Kovaleski, Charley Kurtz, Bob Leitzinger, Alan Friedland, Buzz Marcus and others.
The young ones visited in '60, '61 and '65 driving through Long Island duck farms. Development killed the farms
even before The Bridge gave way.
A fabulous and fast
circuit high in the dunes
|BARC PAGES for Bridgehampton
click on the year to go to the photo page
|1951-1957 1961 1965& later barc home||For great history on
Bridgehampton go to
|Chuck Parsons in a Genie at the
Bridgehampton Can-Am in 1966
|Grid for the inaugural Bridgehampton
National in 1957. Greats like Walt Hansgen,
Phil Hill and Paul O'Shea were there
|The master of the Bridge, Walt Hansgen
the rear engine Maserati tipo 63